Welcome to the Chancellor’s Corner, a place in the alumni newsletter to share some thoughts, provide campus updates and answer your questions.
Over the past year, we have engaged in dialogue to envision UC Davis as the University of the 21st Century, a place where students and faculty work together in tackling some of the world's biggest problems. We’ve also been exploring the development of an additional Sacramento campus to better leverage our expertise and work more closely with the state. We plan to share our vision for the future with the UC Regents next spring.
Our faculty is making new contributions to the regional innovation economy; with our Venture Catalyst unit helping to launch 13 startups based on research breakthroughs this past fiscal year.
Working with our neighbors, we are also about to embark on a Long Range Development Plan calling for more than $2 billion in upgrades and capital projects on our Davis and Sacramento campuses. Some of the projects include:
- Our first recital hall on campus, the Ann Pitzer Center, under construction.
- The Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, scheduled to open next year.
- Renovations of the student union and building the International Student Complex.
- Designs for a major renovation of Walker Hall to be converted into a New Graduate Student Community Center.
- A new classroom building that will house the biggest auditorium on campus.
- Development of plans to rebuild Freeborn Hall and to renovate Herring Hall.
- Building of the North Extension for our Hospital in Sacramento to improve and extend health care services to our patients.
- A $400 million Chemistry Discovery Complex to keep UC Davis at the forefront of scientific scholarship and research, with plans announced last April.
These are exciting times for UC Davis. As we move forward, I would love to hear from you. Your ideas and support will help keep UC Davis proactive, bold and forward thinking. I hope to see you for Homecoming and look forward to hearing from you.
Linda P.B. Katehi