Health and Safety

My student has a medical issue, who can he or she speak to?

Student Health and Counseling Services

Student Health Center 930 Orchard Road at La Rue Road (530) 752-2300

Student Health and Counseling Services provides general medical services including primary, specialty and urgent care. It does not have an emergency room facility. Primary care service includes a sports medicine clinic available to students on a self-referral basis. Nursing appointments for travel needs, antigens, HIV testing, allergy testing, wart clinics and a variety of immunizations are also available.

Specialty Care and Psychiatric Services — With referrals, physician specialists offer specialty care in dermatology, gynecology, internal medicine, orthopedics and podiatry with referrals. Psychiatric services --including assessment, diagnosis and medication management -- are available through a staff psychiatrist with referral from the health center’s own physicians, its nurse practitioners or Counseling and Psychological Services staff.

Dieticians — An in-house, registered dietician provides nutrition services including assessment, counseling and education in individual appointments. For an appointment, call (530) 752-2349. Another dietician with University Dining Services is available to assist housing residents with special dietary needs or nutrition concerns. For information and consultation, call the Nutrition Hotline at (530) 752-9604 or e-mail

Health-e-Messaging — Students can use the Web to access services from Student Health Services. Through Health-e-Messaging, students can request an appointment, get lab and test results, and follow-up with a doctor after an appointment.

Student Health Insurance Program — Student Health Services administers the health insurance plan for students. The University of California requires that all students have health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), including dental benefits, is designed specifically for UC Davis students with both Davis area and worldwide coverage. Registered students are required to enroll in SHIP or to waive enrollment by providing proof of other comparable health insurance.

Other Services — Laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and physical therapy services are available. Selected over-the-counter medications and other products may be purchased through the health center’s self-care booth.

Health Education and Promotion

Student Health Center 930 Orchard Road at La Rue Road (530) 752-9652

The Health Education and Promotion program of Student Health Services promotes wellness through student-centered education. Professional staff and student interns focus on issues related to nutrition; physical activity; sexual health; contraception; wellness; and alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. Peer health educators are available to facilitate small and large workshops on these topics for any student group. Also available are walk-in anonymous HIV antibody testing and individual appointments for peer-led birth control education.

Alcohol and Other Drugs — Alcohol, Drug Abuse Prevention & Treatment (ADAPT) offers assessments, education, training, referrals and individual, short-term educational treatment for students with needs related to alcohol, tobacco or other drug concerns. In peer-led groups, students can confidentially discuss concerns regarding alcohol, tobacco and other drugs; alcohol poisoning, how to help a friend; and decision-making skills. For more information, call (530) 752-6334.

Health Information — The website of Student Health Services provides helpful information on a variety of conditions and issues.ments, education, training, referrals and individual, short-term educational treatment for students with needs related to alcohol, tobacco or other drug concerns. In peer-led groups, students can confidentially discuss concerns regarding alcohol, tobacco and other drugs; alcohol poisoning, how to help a friend; and decision-making skills. For more information, call (530) 752-6334.

Is there a gym or recreation center that my student use?

Activities and Recreation Center

La Rue and Orchard Roads (530) 752-1730

The Activities and Recreation Center, opened in April 2004, promotes health and well-being with its fitness and recreation facilities, programs and services. It hosts many recreational activities for the UC Davis students, faculty and staff, alumni, retirees, student affiliates, family members, and sponsored associates. The ARC has four indoor basketball courts (convertible to host volleyball and badminton), eight four-wall courts (four convertible to squash), a multi-use activity center, a climate-controlled indoor running track, large fitness/weight areas, and an indoor climbing wall. In addition, the complex includes group exercise, dance and martial arts studios, student lounges with computer terminals and wireless access, a large ballroom and a conference center.

My student is in need of counseling or psychological services, where can he or she go?

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

The mission of CAPS is to enhance the mental health, interpersonal relationships, academic performance and career development of students attending UC Davis.

The House

TB-16, next to the Student Housing Office (530) 752-2790

The House, a program of Counseling and Psychological Services, offers weekday drop-in and phone counseling with student peer counselors trained and supervised by the professional staff of Counseling and Psychological Services. Generally, peer counseling includes referrals to appropriate resources for follow up. The House also has a wide variety of helpful brochures and offers educational programming in residence halls and at the meetings of student organizations.

My student has a disability or short-term injury, where can he or she go for help?

Student Disability Center

160 South Silo (530) 752-3184 voice (530) 752-6833 TTY

The Student Disability Center provides services to students with disabilities who are eligible for reasonable accommodations under state and federal law. A team of professionals assists students with learning, vision, hearing, medical, psychological and mobility disabilities. Students with injuries or medical conditions that may temporarily limit their ability to participate at the university also may be able to receive assistance including note-taking, test-scribe and shuttle services.

Where can my student learn about the dangers of alcohol and how to party safely?

Safe Party

The Safe Party Initiative is a collaborative effort between the City of Davis and UC Davis, and is endorsed by the Davis Campus Community Alcohol Coalition. This initiative is supported by the Prevention Research Center, with funding from the National Institutes for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Safe Party offers information for both party-throwers and party-goers about safe practices at fun events.

My student is LGBTQIA, is there a resource center for him or her?

UC Davis LGBTQIA Resource Center

The UC Davis Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource  Center promotes education about all sexes, genders and sexualities, as well as space for self-exploration of these identities. The LGBTQIA Resource Center is a dynamic, responsive and collaborative organization that serves UC Davis and the surrounding region by providing a growing spectrum of programs, resources, outreach and advocacy.

Where can my student go for other counseling and support resources?

Other Resources

Other counseling and advocacy services, support programs and informational resources are available through:

Where can my student go in case of an emergency?

Campus Safety and Emergencies

UC Davis offers a Campus Safety and Managing Emergencies website with information about emergency management, notifications and safety topics ranging from hazing to mental health intervention teams and parental notifications.


Emergency Management — UC Davis has a comprehensive emergency management program under the guidance of a full-time emergency planner. It includes a formal emergency operations plan for preparing for, responding to and recovering from emergencies. UC Davis uses an emergency operations center to coordinate response to major emergencies, and trained employees staff the center. UC Davis regularly conducts training sessions and emergency exercises. UC Davis is part of a regional emergency management system, and it is in compliance with state and federal standards for managing emergencies.

Notifications and Information — UC Davis is prepared to meet the need for urgent communication as part of its comprehensive emergency management program. We have multiple ways to distribute life-saving and other important information in major emergencies.

UC Davis Police Department

Fire and Police Building, Kleiber Hall Drive near Hutchison Drive Emergencies: 911 from campus phones, (530) 752-1230 from cell phones Business Line (24 hours): (530) 752-1727

The UC Davis Police Department is a state police agency that provides patrol, investigative and crime prevention services on the main campus and at the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.

Patrol Services — The UC Davis police department provides 24-hour patrol of the campus, with particular attention to residence hall areas. Also at work for the residence halls is the police department’s "Adopt-a-Building" program, in which an officer serves as police liaison for the building.

Crime Alerts — The police department promptly publicizes significant incidents of criminal activity that pose a potential threat to the campus or medical center. Distribution methods include posting to the Web and campus bulletin boards. Anyone may subscribe to an e-mail service that alerts subscribers that a bulletin has been issued and directs them to a Web site.

Sexual Assault and Hate Crimes — The Campus Violence Prevention Program provides 24-hour advocacy, crisis intervention, support groups and educational programming aimed at reducing incidents of sexual violence, relationship violence and hate. For more information, call (530) 752-3299.

Safety Escorts and Rides — Aggie Host Security Service provides escorts and rides for students, employees and campus visitors from 6 p.m. to midnight during the regular academic year. It operates on campus and from campus to addresses within about a quarter-mile of campus. To request the service, call (530) 752-1727.

Crime Prevention — The crime prevention unit conducts safety and security surveys and presents educational programs on crime prevention topics ranging from drug and alcohol awareness to personal safety. All students are encouraged to take precautions for their personal safety, and attend presentations on personal safety and security that are offered in the residence halls. Residents should also protect their personal property by registering their bikes, locking computers to their desk, and engraving valuables with their student identification or driver’s license number. Safety tips are available on the department’s Web site, and students may borrow an engraving pen to mark personal valuables with their driver’s license number. For more information, call (530) 752-0629.

Lost and Found — Found property and reports of lost property may be turned into the UC Davis Police Department 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Lost items may be claimed from 8 noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday (excluding university holidays). A searchable data base of reports of lost and found items is available online.

Crime Statistics — Each year, the police department publishes two sets of crime statistics. The department’s annual report is prepared pursuant to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program and released in the spring. Another report made public in the fall, is prepared according to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The two reports have different reporting requirements -- including definitions of crimes, reporting authorities and the geographical areas considered.

UC Davis Fire Department

Fire and Police Building, Kleiber Hall Drive near Hutchison Drive Emergencies: 911 from campus phones, (530) 752-1230 from cell phones Business Line (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.): (530) 752-1236

The UC Davis Fire Department is responsible for fire suppression and prevention, emergency medical services, hazardous materials response and rescue on the main campus and for fire prevention at other UC Davis facilities.

Student Firefighters — Specially trained students work alongside career firefighters in a student firefighter program that is one of only five in the nation. The students are selected as graduates of a competitive three-week training academy offered every other year. They work 14-hour and 24-hour shifts and participate in at least eight hours of training each month. In exchange, they are provided with a room in the fire station and paid for overtime work.

Does campus offer self-defense classes?

Self-Defense Classes

Personal Defense Course — Physical Education offers half-unit courses in self-defense. For more information, call (530) 752-1111.

Who are the local law enforcement agencies?

Local Law Enforcement Agencies

City of Davis Police Department — The City of Davis Police Department is located at 2600 Fifth St., about one block east of Pole Line Road in Davis. Business line (24 hours): (530) 747-5400.

Yolo County Sheriff’s Office — The Yolo County Sheriff’s Office and the Yolo County Jail are located at 41793 Gibson Road, Woodland, just West of County Road 102 or Pole Line Road. The facilities are about 10 miles from campus. Business line 24 hours a day: (530) 668-5280.

Where are the local hospitals?

Student Health Services and Local Hospitals

Student Health and Counseling Services — Student Health and Counseling Services provides general medical services including primary, specialty and urgent care for students. It does not have an emergency room facility. During the regular academic quarters, the health center is open seven days a week. During quarter breaks, the health center is open weekdays and closed weekends. The health center is closed on holidays observed by the university. Call (530) 752-2300.

Sutter Davis Hospital — Sutter Davis Hospital, which has an emergency room, is located on Sutter Place in Davis, off Covell Boulevard about one block west of Highway 113. For information 24 hours a day, call (530) 756-6440.

UC Davis Medical Center — The UC Davis Medical Center is located in Sacramento on Stockton Boulevard south of V Street (map and written directions). For information 24 hours a day, call (916) 734-2011.

Where can my student go for legal services?

Legal Services and Conduct

Student Discipline — Student Judicial Affairs has jurisdiction over student conduct on university property or in connection with university functions. It may also exercise jurisdiction over conduct that occurs off-campus when the alleged misconduct indicates the student may be a threat to the safety or security of persons or property.

Legal Services — Students may arrange a free, 15-minute consultation with a Davis attorney. They must show their undergraduate identification card when they book an appointment through the Associated Students of UC Davis in Room 345 of the Memorial Union Building. Call (530) 752-1990.