Originally shared by UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education on June 22, 2020
Did you catch our “Future-Proof Your Career” Webinar Series? Hosted by career counseling expert Andrea Weiss, the series covered steps for building career resilience, networking, leveraging LinkedIn effectively, virtual interviewing and developing accomplishment statements for sharing your achievements.
If you missed the series, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Below are tips from Andrea Weiss highlighting key takeaways. Plus, we recorded the webinars, so you can still get the help you need to navigate this difficult job market.
“Being a continuous learner and being up-to-date with technology are critical”
5 Tips for Career Resilience
- Say “yes” to new opportunities and use them as an opportunity to grow
- Build skills through informal and formal training channels
- Expand and nurture your network
- Reflect on what brings meaning to your work and how you want to express that going forward
- Prepare by updating your resume, polishing up your LinkedIn profile, and honing your interview skills
5 Tips for Successful Networking
- Networking is building relationships not simply asking someone to hire you
- Start your networking with those in your immediate network and expand from there
- When networking, listen at least as much as you speak
- Express appreciation for those who you network with
- Find ways to follow-up, stay in touch and be a resource to continue the relationship
5 Tips for Acing your Virtual Interview
- Research the position and the organization
- Analyze the job announcement to determine how your skills, knowledge and experience align and develop success stories that “prove” you can do the job
- Set the stage and test technology prior to your interview
- Make a great first impression: digital handshake, smile, eyes focused on camera
- Follow up with a Thank You!
About career counselor Andrea Weiss
Andrea Weiss, MS, NCC, MCC, has over twenty years of experience in career counseling, outplacement, training and nonprofit executive search. As a National Certified Counselor and Master Career Counselor, Andrea has helped hundreds of individuals by providing personalized, confidential career counseling services to identify and pursue satisfying careers, manage successful career transitions and take advantage of new opportunities.
This article was provided by UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education. Learn more at https://cpe.ucdavis.edu/news/tips-future-proofing-your-career