Achieving your career goals should include organizing a job search campaign, consisting of a combination of strategies -- from networking to job boards. Searching for a new job can be a daunting prospect for anyone. Securing the right position takes hard work, research, persistence and good instincts.
Fortunately, the UC Davis Cal Aggie Alumni Association can assist you in your job search. And don’t forget to use that extensive Aggie network to help connect you to jobs in your field.
Tips for the job search
- Assess your interests, abilities, and values. Then, align your job search with them.
- Establish your career path and goals. Then, use your goals to focus your job search.
- Update your resume and cover letter.
- Research the companies and industries that interest you.
- Assess your online brand. Check your social media privacy settings and ensure your content is professional.
- Consider conducting information interviews and attend career fairs to learn about employers.
- Conduct targeted job searches on job boards and industry association websites.
- Keep records of all materials, job descriptions and interactions in relation to your job search. Use these materials to prepare for the interview.
- For more ideas and resources check out the UC Davis Internship and Career Center’s job search resources.
- Check out Handshake.
- Avoid job phishing.