The Chicanx Latinx Alumni Association (CLAA) is an alumni network within the Cal Aggie Alumni Association (CAAA) that supports UC Davis students through mentorship and volunteerism. In 2017, CLAA created an award to help students with their financial needs and to enhance their experience while attending UC Davis. Second, third, fourth year, graduate and professional students are encouraged to apply.
Before submitting your application, please review the following criteria to ensure that you are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Must be a currently enrolled full-time student at UC Davis having completed a minimum of 39 college units completed. Transfer students may include units completed at previous universities or colleges prior to transferring.
- Applicant must have a FAFSA or DREAM Act application on file with UC Davis financial aid. AB540 students are eligible to apply.
- Must have demonstrated leadership in student organizations, clubs, community activities, employment, and/or personal situations.
- Must be receiving financial aid such as, loans, work study or have “unmet” need. Priority will be given to students based on financial need.
Applicants who apply may be eligible to receive a $1,000 award for the spring 2020 quarter.
- Complete the online application by January 21, 2020 at 11:59 p.m - Applications for the 2020 scholarship cycle have closed.
- Before starting your application, answer the questions below on a separate word processing document. Make sure to make all of your edits in this document, no changes to your essay can be made once it is submitted to the application system. You will be asked to copy and paste your answers into the online application. Questions ‘a’ through ‘c’ should be a maximum of 200 words each. Question ‘d’ should be a maximum of 500 words.
a. Describe how your leadership experience has helped you to define your educational and career goals.
b. Using at least two examples, tell us how you have contributed to the support of Chicanx Latinx students at UC Davis. Examples could include involvement in student organizations, clubs, community activities, employment or personal situations, etc.
c. Please describe the current financial hardships you are facing as you work towards completing your degree.
d. Compose a one page letter to an incoming Chicano Latino student describing how you used the resources on and off campus to help you adapt to the academic and social environment at UC Davis. How would you advise this student to prepare for the challenges that lie ahead? (500 words)
For questions related to this scholarship, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.